Monday, July 6, 2009

a note from Joyce Howes

Hi to my Paseo friends who know me and hi to so many of you I remember so clearly but doubt you remember me. I was only there (unfortunately) for only my 8th & 9th grade year.

I remember all things that you all have posted and, yes, I totally agree we grew up during a great time. Sadly, my family moved to Raytown so I became a Bluejay. I made the transition fine and met many great people but I've never forgotten Paseo friends and classmates. Yes, I remember after school sports (skating at the Pla-Mor, I believe on Linwood), Mr. Coulter's class (he despised sororities); Mr. Coleman's class, Miss Wray's Common Learnings class & our 8th grade trip to Chicago on the train. Wow! On the train! I particularly remember Madelyn and I became friends that year and she was on that trip and when we returned, Miss Wray let Madelyn & I (and maybe others, but don't remember) draw murals on white paper around the room depicting our trip. My freshman homeroom class was with Ms. Gherring (?) and that was a fun class because of the crazy boys, i.e. Bill Koste. I'll never forget his "moo cow" that he would pull out and turn over making it moo loud enough to make those of us around him laugh. How silly I probably was but we were only 14! We had a young good looking (at least I thought that at the time) student teacher for Mr. Coulter's history class my Freshman year and I remember begging him not to call on me in class. For that plea, he wanted one of my sorority photos so I obliged. He never called on me the whole time so it was worth it!

I'll also never forget Miss Cannon's Spanish class. I seemed to be more interested in the upperclassmen/women and making excuses to go to the nurse's office (but really went to lunch with my friends because Spanish was a split period (or whatever they called it). Miss Cannon told me more than once to come sit on the front row! What fun years!

I had lots of thoughts to add to everyone else’s comments as I was reading this blog. Walking home with Madelyn and others from Southeast after a football game down Meyer Blvd. in the fall with the piles of leaves beneath our feet and the cool crisp air. Mmmm! The summer of '56 I met the neatest guy from Southeast, Norm Howes ('57) and we were hanging out at all the spots you mentioned, Allen's and sometimes Nu-Way. Loved those cherry limeades and to this day I still have the scrapbook I kept all thru high school, with all the typical scrapbook junk...ticket stubs, straws, coins, etc. I now show it to my granddaughters (l6, 12 & 10).

I could write forever since it has been 50 years but I will stop. I want to say how disappointed I was that I had to cancel my trip to K.C. for the reunion, which I was so looking forward to, but my husband's surgery seemed to dictate our change in plans. I hope you have a 55th reunion! We live in Houston, TX and are enjoying retirement. We have a patio home now in Prairie Village, KS because my mom is still living (91) and I have other relatives there, plus have renewed friendships with a few Paseo friends. Your reunion looked fabulous and fun and all pictures as well as the updated "red book" was thoroughly enjoyed. I read it all in one day. It would be fun to hear from anyone who remembers me!! Thanks for a job done very very well by many.

Sincerely, Joyce Murphy Howes

No comments: