Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A NOTE FROM DOUG CARLANDER

Thank you for the great DVD video and all the hard work you have put into making our class reunion memories. I have enjoyed it so much.

Probably one of the funniest memory I have of Paseo is going to the mixers and sox hops that we had in the boys' gym. From eighth grade through most of my junior year I can remember going to all the dances and the boys without dates would stand on one side of the gym floor and the girls would stand on the other side. I would say to myself that I was going to ask a girl to dance when the next slow song played and when they would play a slow song I would decide it was too slow and I would wait until they played a fast song and then that song would be too fast. Then the mixer would be over and I would decide that the next time there was a mixer I would ask a girl to dance. I was just too scared of rejection but after looking at some pictures of myself from that time I would not blame any girl for saying no to me. Doug Carlander

3 comments:

Claudine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudine said...

Dear Doug and all?

If you thought it was bad to stand around wanting to ask a girl to dance, it was a much worse time to stand around at the edge of the dance floor wanting very much that someone would ask you to dance and at the same time trying to pretend you didn't care and moreover trying to pretend you were having a real swell time just chatting it up with all girls. Ugh.

I am convinced that the reason we girls wanted a "steady" was so that we would have someone who would have to dance with us. Romance played little if any role.

Claudine