Friday, July 31, 2009

A Note From Ed Rowe

I agree with Bob, it was a nice luncheon and fun to introduce Mike Stone, a neighbor & friend from my past who graduated with us. Some of you seemed to recognize him and you may want to look him up in your yearbook. Mike does not own or use a personal computer, one of a rare breed. It was good to see Claudine again and I hope we get to see her again in the future. I also agree that the girls have kept their beauty better than the men. It sounded like some of you finally came up with a name for a theatre at 55th & Prospect but I did not catch that name. We lived around the corner on Linwood, but I do not recall such a theatre, although it may well have been there. When I was about seven years old my mother sent me to the Milgram’s store there at 55th & Prospect to get something to complete the menu for her birthday party that evening, January 31st. The weather was fine, I don’t recall even wearing a coat, but as I walked down Linwood toward the store, a boy came toward me down the sidewalk carrying a bee-bee gun (the guts taken out) and I decided to play like I was a cowboy by jumping up on a porch, jumping over a small railing out onto the ground. Unbeknown to me, there was a small flowerbed with bricks on an angle surrounding that bed which I landed on as I attempted to do a somersault. I retreated back home, holding my right arm with my left hand as it had a large bend in it (green stick fracture). Needless to say we spent most of the evening at two hospitals. Initially going to St. Joseph Hospital at Linwood & Prospect where they were in no hurry to do anything so my parents took me down to Research which was then at about 19th & Holmes I believe. Enough for now, but what was the name of that theatre? Thanks, Ed

1 comment:

Bob Pflanz said...

Wasn't the theater at 55th and Prospect the MaryLou?