Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mary Lynn, Twila, Janey, Judy,Rex

The slumber parties were indeed super fun and special. They were so special because my Mom trusted us enough to leave us there alone all night while she went to work the 11:00 to 7:00 shift and then would come home to fix breakfast.

We were sort of wild and crazy at these parties, but what was wild and crazy in 1956 is pretty tame stuff when viewed today, huh?

And , yes Mary Lynn, I remember well the long and very generous taxi ride. No, one could never do that today. It is sad that that is the way things are. What a safe time on top of everything else.

I did not take drivers education. Judy Webster's Mom took me to get my drivers license 3 days after I was sixteen. My driving experience consisted of going around the zoo a few times with Rodney. I somehow passed with a 76. Could no more drive than fly, but never mind. I had the piece of paper. I took it home and my Dad asked how in Christ's name someone would be silly enough to give me a drivers license, but handed me the keys to his 53 Chevy and said he never wanted to see me drive or be with me in a car. He bought a new car just a few days later.

My first driving around on the streets was indeed my driving learning experience. And KC has some very very steep hills. It took a while to get the knack of being able to make the car go forward instead of backward when you applied the gas. Whew!

Have you ever heard Bill Cosby's monologue on driving on the streets of San Francisco in a stick shift with no experience. I used to work up a sweat just listening to it.

Finally, a note was posted from Twila about being a "good girl". It is just sort of floating there by itself as the other back and forths were sent to a limited audience. I thought I would fill in the gaps with apologies to those of you who have already read these exchanges.

Twila said she used to go to the El Torrin skating rink about the velvet freeze in 31ST street.
I allowed that my Father said "nice girls" did not go to El Torrin and therefore I could not and so I skated at the Pla mor. But so as to not hurt Twila's feelings I told her I was also taught by my Grandmothers, and or Mom, but most probably Dad or a combination that "nice girls" did not wear black underwear--it was only worn by gals who did not wash their underwear--nor did they wear perfume--perfume was worn only by those who did not bathe regularly. And, there was something in all of this about plucking eyebrows.

Mary Lynn then reminded me about pierced ears. They were so far beyond the pale I had forgotten them. Then in the blog someone mentioned ankle bracelets. Good luck getting out of the house with one of those on.

Anyway I just throw all this out to see if anyone else had these or similar or other dictates of what it meant to be a "nice girl" in the mid 1950's

I still have no holes in my ears--that is the way my Dad referred to pierced ears.

And Rex, did you tell me Rains still owed you $7.50 from a pool game in the early 60's?

2 comments:

Rex Weddle said...

Yes, Claudine. And to Roger's credit, he offered to pay me wwhen I mentioned it at the reunion.

I refused it. The story is much better with him still in debt to me.

Rex Weddle said...

Was it the El Torrin or something like that (El Torreon?) And was it on the second floor? I saw Van Morrison there in '72. It made for a very intimate music venue. And where was the Pla Mor?