Monday, July 27, 2009

A Note From Harriet Benson

I’m amazed when I observe California high school students today. Their lives seem more stressful and exam-filled than my memories of attending Paseo. I remember studying, and being over-committed to extra-curricular activities, but happily so. My favorite/most memorable teachers were Misses Johnston, Kramer, and Minckemeyer (I can still hear the Mickey Mouse jingle to spell her name!). Yet, in college I majored in chemistry rather than poli sci, English, or math. Apparently their effect on me was more than academic subject matter.

My non-academic experience at Paseo was a bit different from some of the previous blogs since I lived with my non-driving mother on the Plaza—a “car-less” family. I rode the 47th street bus to Paseo; a few other classmates rode the bus as well. By senior year an occasional ride would materialize while I waited for the bus—usually from Laura Johnston or John Bruce. I was indebted to Betty Steiner’s parents and others who drove me to various evening Paseo events. Visits to the drive-ins were rare, except for the one at the foot of the Paseo hill, of course.

I have many fond memories of my five years at Paseo. The opportunity to reflect on these and to re-connect with my classmates has enriched my year.

One memory, and a question for this readership, did we go to an away basketball or football game one season? Where did we go? What event? (And why do I remember getting in trouble in the hotel for hanging out the open window and wandering from room to room?) If my vague memory of this sports event is correct, it may have influenced the rest of my life as I travel frequently now to support my Stanford women’s basketball team on the road.

I have recently purchased a book “1959, The Year Everything Changed” by Fred Kaplan. Kaplan describes 1959 as an overlooked year when civilization was in flux and set the world as we know it in motion. I'll let you know whether it stirs any memories.

1 comment:

Ottermom said...

I've read about this book. Be sure and share what you think. I'm thinking of recommending it for our library book club.