Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A note from Sharon (Reeves) Robertson

Hi Bob,
I am not sure why people are not contributing to the blog - lack of interest? intimidation or fear of rejection?? or what??? I loved Janey's "you-tube" video of her 1-yr-old soccer playing grandson!

Here's a funny (at least to me) story about our trip to Sam's Club a few days ago. As we were leaving the store, there was a young African American guy at the door checking our purchases vs. our bill of sale (as they always do). I had on my Paseo High School sweatshirt - the one ordered before the reunion. It has the name of the school, a graphic of the school and at the bottom it says, "Class of l959". He looked at the shirt and said, "Oh, did you go to Paseo"? When I answered, "yes", he said, "so did I - class of 07". I pointed to the bottom of the shirt and said, "class of l959 - just 48 years before you!" His eyes widened as though he couldn't believe I could still be alive. Joe, my husband, was with me and he said, "yes, we went to the 'old Paseo' and you went to the new one. We used to call it ' the prison on the hill'". The kid laughed - said he had never heard that but it was a good description. Just goes to show you never know how wide our Pirate presence might extend.

One day I wore the shirt to Wayside Waifs (our animal shelter) on one of my volunteer days. It provoked all kinds of interesting discussion - the staff person that day in Cat Adoption managed to tell me that she was 3 years old in 1959 and another volunteer within earshot told me that he was 11 years old in 1959. I am trying to decide whether to wear the shirt in public any more - what do you think??

At any rate, I like the blog - check it almost daily and I hope more people will be inspired to share stories.

Thanks,
Sharon (Reeves) Robertson

No comments: