Monday, January 18, 2010

A note from Claudine to all of you

Hello Classmates:

Well Bob, you said all items would be welcome and of interest so here is the big test to see if the trivial pursuits and activities of those of advanced middle age are really of interest to anyone.

My Christmas at the beach was uneventful and unChristmas. No decorations, no music, no Santa Claus, but lots and lots of like minded people. Christmas is for children, their parents and their grandparents. It is a magical and wonderful holiday for those who are so blessed. The rest of us wish to get away from it all and are thankful that today's travel opportunities allow one to do so.

Our winter has been unusually cold. That means for us in the 20's and low 30's for a few days. Not the teens and certainly not below zero. So, I do not complain to folks in the mid west about the cold. Today it was in the high 30's and all the seats at our outdoor breakfast cafe were filled this morning. Everything is relative is it not?

As for the remembrance of religious Christmas music, the District supports two major Choral groups and each does a major Christmas event at the Kennedy Center --200 or so songsters plus a sizeable component from the National Symphony in support----both occurring during the week before Christmas. I always book both as I cannot get enough of Christmas music. The performances consist of only religious music, but for one number or maybe two of Sleigh Bells Ring or whatever. All the classic carols plus some medieval carols and usually quite a bit of French Chrism as music which I find especially beautiful. In any case for the portion of the evening devoted to the classic carols we all know, much of it is sing along and do these folks sing. For better, or in most cases, for worse (myself included here, but it does not dim my enthusiastic contribution). Rex is not alone in missing the religious music of Christmas. Overflowing auditoriums and enthusiastic singers bear witness.

Since my return from the beach and the New Year celebration I have seen the following movies:

It's Complicated, B+, the children are too perfect, the house is too perfect, the grounds are way too perfect, as is the ownership of this sort of glorious bakery business. The woman Baldwin married has not one redeemable value. It stretches ones imagination to see Baldwin paired with her, especially with the awful child. The son-in-law to be is not believeable--too good to be true, Meryl Streep is super as always, ditto Alec Baldwin, but next time give me a more believable setting and secondary characters.

Everybody's Fine Here, A-. This is the way life turns out. I enjoyed Robert Di Niro very much.

Invictus, A-, a film only those of you who like sappy, feel good films will enjoy as much as I did. Sappy, feel good, uplifting, and you know not nearly true but Morgan Freeman IS Mandela. What an acting job.

Crazy Heart A+. What a job Jeff Bridges does and if you are a fan of old time country western music there is a lot of it. Do not miss.

There are a couple more movies I have seen recently, but for the life of me I cannot remember what they were at this moment.

Tomorrow evening I am going to see Judith Collins. My fear is that she will look and sound old and I do not need any reminders of that. I will let you know.

I replaced my backyard deck adding a pergola/roof and a few columns. What began as something sensible kept growing and upon completion resembles a small Roman ruin in a very small back yard.

Please let us hear from each and every one of you.

These high school (and before) friendships are too precious to just let go of again.

And, if I ever think of my other movies I will send my reviews along.

Claudine

No comments: