Sunday, October 25, 2009

A note from Claudine

A Rely to Rex about School Fairs, And Other Miscellaneous Matters.

CAKEWALKS

I never understood the economics behind this school carnival money maker. Every child won a cake and usually received as a prize one much less tasty than the one they had a couple of hours earlier delivered to be part of the contest. Yes, every child won, and you had to buy only about three tickets to do so.. That is my recollection from seven years of participating in this contest. Tickets cost 5 cents?

My Mom and countless other Moms made these cakes at not much cost for ingredients, but a whole lot of time in that there were no box mixes in these early years. My Mom worked 11:00 to 7:00AM many many years supervising a floor at Research Hospital and then would come home and bake these cakes among her many other community contributions. She was President or past president or Chair of one thing or another for everything--PTA, Campfire Girls, Grade School Class Mother, Eastern Star, Church related activities and on and on it went. How did they do it all?

But, back to the cakes. If everyone won a cake for a maximum of 15 cents contribution, then the only profit was many Moms slaving over many cakes to sell them for 15 cents or thereabouts each. How much could the school have made? Am I missing something here?

But, I agree with Rex. It was my favorite game probably because you could not be a loser.

BILL KOSTE'S MEMORY

On June 6th on the Marriott patio I was sitting on the veranda having my breakfast with Bob Pflanz ,when Koste joined us bringing with him a load of scrapbooks and other Francis Willard and some 8th grade Paseo memorabilia. Photo by photo, grade by grade, party by party interspersed with some sports or similar grade school activities he grilled Bob about every subject in every photo at every age. Bob did very well but was not quite the match for Koste. I, a Horace Mann girl, excused myself to attend to some business returning some several minutes later passing by the table to see Koste and Bob still going at it. I would say the Bob's eyes had glazed over, but what did I know? (Koste, I love you, you crazy old man).

THE JERSEY BOYS

Run, don't walk to any showing of this you can find on it's current nationwide tour. It is the most fun musical I have ever attended. The audience --all our age--was clapping and swaying and a few singing throughout the entire performance. It will not be coming to KC, , but will be in both Des Moines and Saint Louis. Spend a little of your childrens' inheritance and travel to one of it's venues. It will make your heart sing. Jersey Boys Nationwide Tour.Com gives you the cities and dates.

Keep Moving

Claudine

PS:
Whoops, Jersey Boys has already been to St. Louis. Your closest venue is Des Moines in July of 2010.

Read the chart wrong, sorry.

Claudine

No comments: