Monday, October 26, 2009

a note from Claudine

Hello Rex:

Let me see if I have this straight.

You and other Francis Willard Cakewalk winners if you won did so on "merit" or as some would say, the luck of the draw. I, on the other hand, won as part of a distribution of prizes by a "progressive" school structured such that no one would be hurt and "equality" would reign.

Please be apprised that Horace Mann was the most down and dirty, blue collar, non sensitive feeder school to Paseo. We were insensitive to any child's challenges be they spelling, arithmetic, sports, geography, music, or art. It was every man for themselves, no quarter given or expected.

The best I can figure is my Dad may have slipped a few bucks to the PTA President or gaming chief. That was sort of his way. As for why you won consistently, I cannot figure out, but it was probably something over and above your good luck or winning ways.

I am about as "progressive" as the Jesuits during the Inquisition. My elementary school background is greatly responsible for this reactionary view of the world.

Let's have a cake walk (read a bottle of wine) at the next reunion. Everyone has to do "The Slide" to get to the number.

Yours.

Claudine

No comments: