Sunday, August 16, 2009

A note from Claudine to Harriet Benson

Hi Harriet and classmates.

Mr Lindwall, our chemistry teacher, was considered one of the best in the nation, or so Janey Long tells me. She says when she applied in college for chemistry and they found out she had had Mr. Lindwall in high school they automatically gave her credit for first year college chemistry and moved her right along to second year chemistry. I would guess you had a class from him? I did and remember it well although I went no further in Chemistry.

Ms Minckemeyer is of course the all time champ. I learned nothing in first year algebra having Coach Oliver as a teacher, and he knew little or nothing. Ms. Minckemeyer, the most often mentioned teacher in the memory book, made it all seem so simple, so very simple. Someone at the reunion, Lloyd Williams? told me that at his college you could not take advanced algebra course number one in college if you had successfully completed Ms. Minckemeyer's class in advanced Algebra.

Janey also told me that our High School was considered in the top 10% in the nation for either SAT scores or some other fairly rigorous testing device. Who know this, but from the accomplishments of all of our classmates I guess we should not be surprised?

I remember only once going away for a game. Our Basketball team was in the state running and we took a busload to St. Louis to watch them compete. This was either our sophomore or junior year--I think sophomore.

I read the book review re 1959. Quite a watershed. And, I'm not sure its been better since.

Few of our Mother's drove as I recall. Our first car was a 1948 and was not used to haul kids around. We took the bus/streetcar everywhere--or walked. My Mom, an RN, did not learn to drive till they moved to the suburbs in 1959 and took the Woodland bus to Research Hospital at 21st and Holmes (Charlotte?) each night to work the 11:00 to 7:00 shift. And then she would take the Woodland bus back home stopping frequently at some wonderful bakeries/deli's on 31st street to buy fresh doughnuts for breakfast.

So glad you made it the long distance to the reunion. As we say in the Mid west do not be a stranger, and please let us hear from you often

Claudine

No comments: