Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A note from Bob - deep in the heart of Texas

I read Claudine's note about the weather conditions in our capital and felt bad that I hadn't thought to check on her. I just assumed that she was basking in the warmth somewhere south. I'm sorry, Claudine.

Meanwhile, I'm basking in the warmth. I'm about 5 miles from the Mexican border in south Texas between Brownsville and McCallen. It was 81 degrees yesterday and we went over to enjoy the beach on South Padre Island at San Isabel. Everything is lush and green here and the citrus groves are bursting with fruit. This is the first time I've been here, but I've been missing a good bet. There are thousands of snowbirds here from all over the states and Canada who were keeping this place a secret. The people are warm and friendly and there are many activities for retirees. We have heard the weather reports from up north and feel blessed here. IO know that I will have to drive back through the winterlands soon to return to home, but it has been nice. I understand why Jeanne Boyer has a place at this latitude and why Dave Pennington escapes to Florida each winter. I just didn't realize how much difference the weather makes in your outlook.

I hope some of you will relate your winter stories to this blog and let us know what other folks are enjoying or enduring during the winter. Give us all a clue about what you do during the winter of your content.

Your friend and classmate,
Bob Pflanz

No comments: