Monday, September 28, 2009

Colorado by Bob Pflanz




















When I first stated camping in the Rockies, I was taking a minimum of items and sleeping in a pup tent on the ground with a bed roll all of which I could pack in my Jeep and wander about in the high rockies without coming down to civilization for days on end. As the years passed on, I still kept the Jeep but hauled a popup tent which kept me camping in federal campgrounds or on BLM land near some kind of road. Later, I upgraded to a small trailer which actually had a stove and a cooler and a bed of sorts. Now that the years have passed, I find myself “camping” in an Airstream 24' trailer with a heater and a refrigerator and lights. It's not the same, but my body now isn't as nimble as it was when I used to hike and ski and it appreciates the comforts.

I just returned from the central Rockies (the Collegiate Peaks) where I camped with my sisters, their husbands and my daughter from New Mexico. It was a civilized camping trip but we did get back in the woods and over some of the passes and into the high country. We camped at 8,000 feet but wandered over county roads and jeep trails up to elevations of 12,000 feet and saw some beautiful country. With the advent of digital photography, it's hard to not take pictures at will with accumulations of hundreds of photos. I will share a few of the better ones to give you an idea of how beautiful it is. So far, the central part of Colorado has not gotten carried away with development but it has changed some in the past 40 years. I miss the remoteness that once existed. You could feel that it was just you and the mountains and the sky with nobody for miles. Now homes are being added to the most remote places. Luckily much of the land is still public and no development can intrude.

It was nice, but it was cold and breathtaking. It's nice to be back home with fond memories.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, Your photots are wonderful! We haven't been to Colorado recently - maybe 3-4 years ago, but your entry gives me the "urge" to go again. I can't think of any place in the world with more breath-taking scenery and we are lucky to be so close. Sharon R.

Bob Pflanz said...

Talking with the locals, tourism is down because of the economy. Last year it was down because of high gasoline prices and down the year before because of forest fires. They appreciate people coming out and it isn't crowded - the way I like it. It's so great getting back up in the mountain forests without anyone else around - very peaceful.

Unknown said...

Bob - after of notice of Dick K's death, I went back and looked thru the Blog and found your photos of CO. Sharon and I live in Grand County (just outside of Winter Park)at 8600 feet. At times we lose sight of the fact that we live in the middle of your pictures. Later, Glenn

Bob Pflanz said...

Hi Glenn,
I know that sometimes you forget to lift your head up and look beyond the road right ahead to see the mountains and clouds. It's like living be the seashore and not watching the ocean. You're a lucky devil to be living in the heart of the Rockies. I have to drive many hours just to get a glimpse of the mountains. Pictures help but they just remind you of the breathtaking beauty. Enjoy and send some pictures sometime.
Bob