Sunday, August 15, 2010

A note from Claudine

Hello Rex and classmates;

What a great adventure. I have never been to Hawaii, and now may never accomplish this journey, but can appreciate the beauty and allure.

I learned about 10 years ago to never, never, travel without a black sweater to put over your shoulders or knees. I now own 25 due mostly to business trips to San Fransisco where when packing for each trip I stupidly thought it was going to be warm.

And, now that US Air required me to pay $7 for one of those paper this blankets, I carry that too.

Old age brings cold.

The apartment rents sound just like New York. I had a friend who flew for American Airlines who rented an apartment the size of my dining and was glad to get it never mind it took half her salary.

In any case ,your Hawaiian adventure sounds like the fun we all should be having all the time,, never mind the frostbite (smiley face here).

Beats Iowa in some ways, but certainly not in others. Report to follow.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Isn't retirement great??

--------------------------

Restaurants in Kansas City:

I had some many minutes to spend in a bookstore recently and came upon and purchased two foodie books: "500 Things To Eat Before It's Too Late", and "Roadfood" by Jane and Michael Stern. Roadfood writes about Arthur Bryant's, Jess and Jim's, LC's Barbeque, Niecie's, and Stroud's Oak Ridge Manor. "500 Things to Eat..." writes of Arthur Bryant's, Eden Allen Cafe, Jess and Jim's, Niecie's ,Strouds and Woodyard Bar-b-que.

I remember eating at Strouds out on Troost many years ago but after it moved North of the river I was there perhaps once and then time became too short when I was in KC so I have not been there in some 15 or so years. The "500" says "Stroud's in Kansas City, MO, "makes the best chicken dinner in America." I guess you cannot receive a review much better?

Have any of you been there recently? I am puttting it on my list for my next visit to KC. Salads and grilled fish will go off my list for a short while.

I so not know The Eden Allen Cafe, Woodyard Bar-b-que, LC's barbeque or Niecie's.

Niecie's sounds especially interesting. It is lauded for its Bar-b-que , as well as for soul food (waffles and chicken and pig ear sandwiches) . I am putting this restaurant on my next visit list as well.

Do any of you know these places? Would love to hear your opinion.

Claudine

3 comments:

Ottermom said...

Claudine,
I've heard of all those places, but have only eaten at Strouds (before it moved) and Jess and Jims. I was not overwhelmed by either. No restaurant has ever been able to touch my grandmother's fried chicken, but then she killed the chicken. I do think the chicken you start with has as much to do with the result as how it's cooked.
Eden Alley is a vegetarian restaurant. I think it's in the basement of Unity Temple on the Plaza. It does get consistently great reviews.
My personal recommendations for a great dining experience in KC would be Justus Drug Store in Smithville and Le Fou Frog near the the City Market.

Paula Johnson Neale

Ottermom said...

Claudine,
I've heard of all those places, but have only eaten at Strouds (before it moved) and Jess and Jims. I was not overwhelmed by either. No restaurant has ever been able to touch my grandmother's fried chicken, but then she killed the chicken. I do think the chicken you start with has as much to do with the result as how it's cooked.
Eden Alley is a vegetarian restaurant. I think it's in the basement of Unity Temple on the Plaza. It does get consistently great reviews.
My personal recommendations for a great dining experience in KC would be Justus Drug Store in Smithville and Le Fou Frog near the the City Market.

Paula Johnson Neale

Bob Pflanz said...

Claudine,
I don't eat out much, but I do make a point of having a birthday dinner for my whole family at Jess & Jims every year. I've never had a bad experience there and really enjoy their beef and their baked potatoes. I would have no qualms about recommending it to anyone.