Monday, March 8, 2010

A note from Claudine

Hi Classmates:

I just finished a book that I think you all would enjoy reading, assuming you have not already done so.

A couple of weeks ago, Sally sent me a gift book "Deaths On Pleasant Street:The Ghastly Enigma of Colonel Swope and Doctor Hyde" by Giles Fowler, published by Truman University.

The murders and/or attempted murders occurred on 1909 and the trials were sensational to say nothing of the hair raising events leading up to them.

I had never heard this grisly tale ,but Sally informs me I am probably the only one spending lots of years in Kansas City who has not, and was a little dubious about just how sensational or interesting this episode of deaths could have been, and who was this author anyway,and who or what was Truman University.

I saved the book for my beach trip last week. All my misgivings about this book were dead wrong. What a great read. I did not want to put it down. It is a two beach afternoons and one leg of a plane ride long. Have a friend read it too, you will want to talk about it.

Happy reading

Claudine

2 comments:

Rex Weddle said...

Claudine, good review. Since my library doesn't carry that title, I'll take you up on the thought ("Have a friend read it too"). Please send it to me.

Ottermom said...

There was a lot of local publicity about this book when it came out last year. The author was once a KC Star reporter before he became a journalism professor. As for Truman University, it used to Northeast Missouri State at Kirksville. It regularly makes the US News and World Report list of best colleges in it's class. Meanwhile your review jogged my memory. I think I'll check with my book discussion group and see if they don't want to read it. We're too young to remember this, but I do remember the Bobby Greenlease kidnap/murder. There is a book about this as well titled Zero at the Bone. It didn't get such glowing reviews.

Paula Johnson Neale